The Enrolled Agent, EA

CapSo I have been going on about it forever, I have even announced that I am headed to the exams to become one. So what is an Enrolled Agent (EA)? Simply put, Enrolled Agents (EAs) are America’s tax experts. The Enrolled Agent status is the highest credential the IRS awards. Individuals who obtain this elite status adhere to great ethical standards and are required to complete 72 hours of continuing education courses every three years. (If they are members to NAEA, they are required to maintain 30 Credit hours per year, in tax education.)

Enrolled agents have unlimited practice rights. This means they are unrestricted as to which taxpayers they can represent, what types of tax matters they can handle, and which IRS offices they can represent clients before. Clearly, someone to have in your corner if you have IRS issues.

Still, what does it mean? The NAEA defines the designation as – “Enrolled” means to be licensed to practice by the federal government, and “Agent” means authorized to appear in the place of the taxpayer at the IRS.

So let’s put something to rest once and for all, EAs do not work for the IRS. Just because the name has Agent in it, does not mean they are some sort of revenue officer/Agent with the IRS whatever… EAs are on your side just like any tax pro. In fact, an EA is the ultimate tax professional.

 Currently there are only about 48,000 EAs. A vast majority of them deal mostly represent taxpayers during IRS collections, audit investigations, offers in compromise, and reducing penalties. But having them do your tax return is a good idea to, I mean really, the ultimate tax professional in your corner…. Never fear the tax man again.

One last note that I have noticed over the years, you will find that many EAs fees are less than those of CPAs and Attorneys.

Enjoy the video as we talk about what tit is to be an EA and some of the questions from the regular tax payers have, including the sad mention that one taxpayer says, I never heard of an Enrolled Agent not to mention what they do.


A few suggested sites to read to learn more…

© 2013, Bruce McFarland. All rights reserved.

Similar posts


  1. Ray's Gravatar Ray
    July 25, 2013    

    My experience has been that most EA’s earn most of their money from preparing returns. Most education seminars for EA’s spend most of hours offered on the subjects you mentioned.
    I do not know why?

  2. Kristina Longmuir's Gravatar Kristina Longmuir
    July 29, 2013    

    If you want your taxes done right, trust an Enrolled Agent to do them. Obviously, make sure you do your research and get referrals if possible.
    If you are a tax preparer consider becoming an EA. This is a great way to prove your expertise in tax, and to provide additional services beyond straight tax return preparation. Expand your client base as you can represent any client, not only those you prepared for.

  1. Tax Roundup, 7/25/2013: Mo’ refundable credits, mo’ fraud. Plus cigarettes and preschoolers! « Roth & Company, P.C on July 25, 2013 at 8:26 am

Leave a Reply

Prepare your own return

L & R Tax Preparation

Tax Preparation, Payroll, and Accounting, Including online services.

E=MC2 or use QuickBooks

Find what you need by searching Categories


DAILY CARTOON click to enlarge